Tuesday 11 March 2014

Welcome!



Welcome to my blog, and thank you for taking the time to do so. I would not normally make a web log, but for my bible class I am to learn about something I am passionate about, and then blog about the experience. For this project I have decided to learn about APM (actions per minute), which is an acronym referring to the amount of different things you do per minute in a RTS (Real Time Strategy) game. I will specifically doing my study of APM in StarCraft 2: Wings of Liberty. APM is an acronym that is used to describe the amount actions you perform in a minute while playing an RTS game, but it is more specifically a record of your keystroke, which means using keyboard shortcuts are the way to achieving a high APM and increasing your skill at RTS games in general. To Begin I need to find out all of the hotkeys that are available in StarCraft 2 and after memorizing them all, I will have to start to put them into action. I will also need to discern which hotkeys are actually worth using, and which simply use too much of my time to use. To become a pro at StarCraft it is suggested to have at least 300 APM before you even try to compete at that level. I do not expect to get near that, but my goal is to increase my APM to at least 100, pending what my APM is before I get too immersed in the project. I do not foresee many problems in what I plan to accomplish, as I have a large amount of experience in many of the basic skills required to increase APM. These basic skills include things like the ability to spend large quantities of time in front of a computer screen, and knowing your way around a keyboard and RTS game. For the most part this whole project id simply comprised of things that I enjoy doing, so I do not think I will need much motivation to be able to work on the project. One thing that may become difficult is to make sure I am able to continue to learn things over the course of the semester. I have made sure that I should be able to do this, because there is a lot to know in the area of strategy of what to do with the hotkey's that you know. I decided to make my project about StarCraft and APM because I enjoy gaming, and not much else that I actually have room to learn about. Like most people who play RTS games, I haven't bothered ever learning all the hotkeys because I have always seen it as too much work. This project gives me a reason to learn these hotkeys and call it school work, while still allowing me to do what I love doing. This project is a great opportunity to increase my skills at gaming, and find value in the abundance of keyboard shortcuts StarCraft has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment