Tuesday 11 March 2014

Progress Report 1

During these First weeks of My project, I have started to get this blog how I would like it to be. I have started to play StarCraft 2 a little bit, just to get familiar with the controls and the feel of the game. In the near future, I will start to record my matches, because with the use a program (BW Chart) I am able to take the video of my Match and find out what my APM was, and on I can post the videos (or at least pieces of them) to give reference points as to what my APM actually is. I will not actually be playing to much after I get what my starting APM is, because the largest part of getting better is knowing all of the shortcuts.


I have started my research into hotkeys and started to memorize the very useful ones. I have seen that many people use one certain group of hotkeys very extensively. You have the ability to assign units, groups of units, and buildings to one of the number keys by clicking Ctrl + # you want. This is used so that you can quickly select a certain thing quickly, and use an ability of its, or attack your opponent. This is what I see as one of the biggest things that you have to do to keep organised when moving around and using a bunch of different things at one time. I knew a little about this function, but I didn't think to be continuously be reassigning them to different things. I learned that pro players are often switching these keys to what they will need for the time being. Another group of hotkeys that I am not yet sure if they are super useful are those on each of your units. I think these can increase a bit of your speed, but tapping "A" or right-clicking on what you want to attack don't seem much different. I will have to play and test whether or not this is actually going to be useful to me. 

1 comment:

  1. Very lovely post Chris.
    I can clearly see that you've done your research on this stuff. I find the ideas of hotkeys really cool.
    I was wondering if you've started using hotkeys yet, and what results you got from them.
    I look forward to seeing some of your videos!

    ReplyDelete